Thursday, November 19, 2015

All I Want to Do Is Go to the Bathroom (from the head of a teacher)

All I want to do is go to the bathroom.
Chapel just ended and I am flung
Between throngs of 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th graders,
And I wind around the snack shop, past the soccer field,
Past the old tree,
And up the high school stairs to deposit
My trusty Bible, attendance sheet, and
Contigo travel mug before
Whisking into the bathroom
For a quick pee,
So that I’m not distracted by a full bladder
When my discipleship girls show up.

As I turn the corner to enter the second stall,
I see the glow of a screen lighting up a
10th grader’s face as she quickly turns so
As not to be seen by her teacher.

All I want to do is go to the bathroom.
In a moment of tension,
I actually have to force myself to turn around
To approach her about the phone,
Confiscate it,
Walk back to my classroom to place it on my desk,
And then return on my mission to finish the task,
Because all I want to do is go to the bathroom,

But I am interrupted by my on-call duties as a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment