Saturday, August 17, 2013

Week 1 of Teacher-Life

First week of classes! I began on Monday. I am teaching 9th & 10th grade English classes as well as a high school Reading/ESL class. I’m co-teaching 7th & 8th grade writing classes with a seasoned teacher, who also happens to be married to the director of our school. They celebrated their 24th wedding anniversary on the first day of school. 

What is it like? It’s hard to describe what teaching at Quisqueya Christian School is like. Students almost always arrive early to school. They hang out on campus until classes begin. Students always stay late after school. Classes end at 3pm, and many students stay behind and hang out with friends, play soccer on the beautiful soccer turf, or converse with teachers. The general role of teachers post-classes, is to meander through campus, connecting with students whenever possible.

On Monday, the first official day of school, I discovered my niche. There were 4 or 5 students gathered around a table, cut out around a stately tree. They were singing and playing ukulele—making up a song based on sentences from their Chemistry books that were lying open on the table. I was so impressed. I sat down and talked for quite some time getting to know a little bit about them. The opportunities are unlike any other I’ve experienced.

Elisa and I got to help out with chapel worship Wednesday morning. All middle school and high school students congregate together once a week to worship and listen to a message. The goal this year is to get as many students involved in chapel worship as possible and to eventually turn it over to just them. I can’t wait!

A weekly Bible study for the teachers at QCS started up Wednesday night. We will be studying Galatians together for the next couple of weeks.

As I open my heart and mind, I am constantly being challenged in the way I view people and the world in general. My prayer is that the Lord would soften my heart and renew my understanding towards His creation; His people. I encountered a few situations this week that led me to see how much I have to grow in the way I see God’s children.


Today I got to hike in the mountains with some of my QCS co-worker buddies. The terrain was beautiful and diverse; the view breathtaking. We could see the national soccer field, the ocean, the airport, and many villages below. We passed mountain goats, bleating and Haitian people, singing. It was a fantastic workout and trek! 

Pictures from the Hike:




Soccer field on mountain range, newly formed. :)

Blessing to you all, and I look forward to sharing more as it comes and as I am able!! 

1 comment: